Monday 24 July 2017

One-on-One with Clayton King about Overcoming the Lies Christians Face

God loves us and is not trying to get even with us.

Ed: First of all, what are the lies that hold us down that need to be replaced that you talk about in your latest book?

Clayton: My attempt in this book was to identify the ten most common lies that people predominantly believe. Sometimes we hear these voices. I use the illustration of the old cartoon character with the demon on one shoulder and the angel on the other, whispering into each ear. And although I don't believe it is as simplistic as that illustration, I think people oftentimes feel that way. So the lies that we tend to believe can vary from day to day, and from moment to moment.

One example is that God is mad at us. So if something bad happens in our lives, or things don't work out, the assumption based on that lie is that God is punishing us. Another lie is that we will always be alone and unloved. This seems to be a prevalent lie especially in youth culture. This is one that I struggled with after I lost my parents since I was adopted. I identified this as a personal lie that tended and still does tend to attack my mind. Another lie is that money will solve all our problems.

Ed: One of the things you talk about in the book is that there are truths that respond to those lies. Give an example of this.

Clayton: Let me use the example that God is mad at us. This is a lie that we do tend to believe. The truth that replaces that lie is from scripture, where we see that God is not angry with us. God loves us and is not trying to get even with us. And we go straight to scripture. John 3:16 is the one that so many evangelicals know, God loves the world so much that He gave His only son. But then John 3:17, which was actually the words of Jesus, tells us that God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the ...

Continue reading...



from
http://feeds.christianitytoday.com/~r/christianitytoday/ctmag/~3/Z1mKbVYQqVA/one-on-one-with-clayton-king-about-overcoming-lies-christia.html

No comments:

Post a Comment