Thursday 9 November 2017

One-on-One with Johnnie Moore (Part 2): Politics & The Christian Faith

Other faiths have equal concerns for religious liberty and human rights

I recently interviewed Johnnie Moore about his book and work in politics today. You can find Part 1 here. Below, in Part 2, Johnnie and I talk politics.

Ed: In the last year you’ve been thrust into the public square in a new way, especially as it relates to Donald Trump. From tweeting a viral photo of Christians laying hands on the president to pray for him to your role as an ad hoc spokesperson for the so-called Evangelical Advisory Board (a group you helped form) to being a vocal advocate for dreamers, you’ve been on people’s radar screens. Why have you suddenly become so involved in politics?

Johnnie Moore: First of all, I *hate* politics, but I love people. Sometimes, the latter requires that you’re involved in the former. In my case, there were three formative events that led me to be more (and probably temporarily) involved in electoral politics.

First, I watched SB 1146 nearly survive in California and it was not inconceivable that the bill would have been upheld at the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals had it been passed and challenged. That bill threatened the very existence of religious schools in my state, and California tends to be a bellwether state. It was an existential threat to religious liberty.

I got involved in that fight, helped those developing the strategy, and helped amplify the impact of a consequential editorial written by Archbishop Gomez and Bishop Charles Blake in Los Angeles. Moving from Virginia to California showed me that we are walking a knife’s edge sometimes on these issues. Keep in mind that in California in 2016 there wasn’t even a Republican senatorial candidate to vote for on the ballot.

Second, I care deeply about persecuted Christians (and others) abroad ...

Continue reading...



from
http://feeds.christianitytoday.com/~r/christianitytoday/ctmag/~3/UmxSFly5fw0/one-on-one-with-johnnie-moore-part-2-politics-christian-fai.html

No comments:

Post a Comment