Friday 15 July 2016

How Perry Noble's Alcohol Firing by NewSpring Compares to Other Churches

Stats suggest a substantial number of pastors struggle with addiction, but are split on what to do about it.

Perry Noble asked his supporters at NewSpring Church to stand down this week.

“If you love me, be at NewSpring on Sunday, and the next Sunday, and the next Sunday,” said the founder and former senior pastor of the South Carolina megachurch, which claims 30,000 members across 17 cities.

He was addressing congregants upset that he was terminated on July 1 after a year of struggling with alcohol abuse. A petition to reinstate him garnered 573 signatures and 259 comments before it was shut down yesterday.

“I love my church,” Noble said. “The leadership of NewSpring Church made the right decision. God has gotten my attention. I’m focused on getting better.”

The church’s executive pastors met with Noble “over the course of several months” to discuss their concerns about his dependence on alcohol, which eventually resulted in his removal.

“In my opinion, the bible (sic) does not prohibit the use of alcohol, but it does prohibit drunkenness and intoxication,” Noble wrote to his congregation of 18 years. “I never had a problem drinking alcohol socially, but in the past year or so I have allowed myself to slide into, in my opinion, the overuse of alcohol.

“This was a spiritual and moral mistake on my part,” Noble wrote, “as I began to depend on alcohol for my refuge instead of Jesus and others.”

Noble’s addiction—and his church’s concern—are not new. Nearly one in five pastors report that they have struggled with addiction to alcohol or prescription drugs, according to a 2013 survey by Barna Group.

Those pastors were split on whether to take their struggles public. About half said being open about the addiction would ...

Continue reading...



from
http://redirect.viglink.com?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.christianitytoday.com%2F%7Er%2Fchristianitytoday%2Fctmag%2F%7E3%2FFXw8-mG1VDI%2Fhow-perry-noble-alcohol-firing-by-newspring-church-compares.html&key=ddaed8f51db7bb1330a6f6de768a69b8

No comments:

Post a Comment