Thursday 26 January 2017

One, Broken World: What Christians Need to Recapture in “The Other”

A broken and hurting world needs Christians who show and share the love of Jesus.

In the wake of the Trump administration’s focus on refugees, I would be using an “alternative fact” if I said my heart wasn’t feeling a bit heavier today than it was just a few days ago.

President Trump’s Executive Order, which may put a 120-day moratorium on the Refugee Admissions Program and an indefinite ban on refugees from Syria, is, at best, misguided in its understanding of fact and our reality as one global community and, at worst, a policy that will deeply change not only the way the world views the United States, but also how Americans view the world.

As I wrote in my post earlier today:

There is no more critical time than now for God’s people to instead turn towards the helpless, the homeless, the broken, with open arms and hearts, ready to pour out every ounce of love we can muster.

And as I wrote in an article in the Washington Post:

I certainly understand the struggle with fear in our current climate, but I imagine that there are many people on the other side of the world who have experienced fear like you or I have not seen. And they have just been told they have nowhere to turn.

As Evangelicals, we have hopefully read enough of our Bibles to understand the crystal-clear calling of our God, who (1) created all in His image, man and woman; (2) gave His life for all who would believe; (3) is surely no respecter of persons; and (4) embraces diversity and the beauty of family in a way that often surpasses our own understanding.

Revelation 7:9 is often a rallying cry for living as though we are all One Body in Christ: “After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people, and language, standing before the throne ...

Continue reading...



from
http://feeds.christianitytoday.com/~r/christianitytoday/ctmag/~3/M_K41AoDTXU/one-broken-world-what-christians-need-to-recapture-in-other.html

No comments:

Post a Comment