Thursday 20 September 2018

Reflecting on the Rewards and Risks of Going on the StartUp Business Podcast, Part 1

'Fascinating' and 'terrifying' are the words that come to mind when I think about my experience of being recorded for days on end.

I recently had the pleasure of being shadowed by an ambitious young journalist named Eric, and his omnipresent microphone. He works for Gimlet Media and produces “StartUp,” a secular podcast with over one million listeners. When Eric decided to focus on church planting in the show’s latest season, I mysteriously and unexpectedly became the subject of the show, along with my wife and the people of Restoration Church—the church I pastor.

As the season aired, I waited silently, hoping that there would be no pressing reason to write or say anything in response. However, I received emails and messages from listeners daily (and unfortunately read the Reddit threads about the show) so I am now overdue to give a thoughtful response.

I thought the season was excellent.

A secular podcast about business startups endeavored to cover the otherwise unseen world of church planting. I knew what to expect. I knew they would imperfectly explain what a church is and how it functions, and I knew they would emphasize the business underbelly of churches, to many people’s discomfort.

Also, months of recording were compressed and edited into less than three hours of content. To be clear, I love Eric Mennel and the whole team at Gimlet. With that said, I want to reflect on my experience with the podcast through three articles.

First, I’d like to talk about the rewards of this experience, followed by a discussion of the risks of entering into this process. Last, I’ll offer some final thoughts on church planting.

The Rewards

Fascinating and terrifying are the words that come to mind when I think about my experience of being recorded for days on end. Fascinated that someone is interested in the details of my life ...

Continue reading...



from
http://feeds.christianitytoday.com/~r/christianitytoday/ctmag/~3/X94KMO76lY8/startup-podcast-church-planting-aj-smith-redemption-part-1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment