Tuesday 14 November 2017

Racial Difference Without Division

The power of an ethnicity-honoring witness.

Editor’s Note: This article is part of “Change Makers,” our CT special issue focused on some of the ways women are influencing the church, their communities, and the world. In this special issue, we’ve included articles that explore trends in women’s discipleship, examine research on women and workplace leadership, highlight women who are making a difference, and grapple with the unique challenges female leaders face. Click here to get your own copy of “Change Makers.”

In recent years, I’ve heard this unusual comment: “I hear you know how to talk to white people about being white.” Now, the funny thing is: I’m not white. I’m ethnically Korean.

As a Korean American woman, I’ve spent the past several years traveling across the country, training Christian leaders on how to engage in cross-cultural ministry and steward their ethnic identities for the sake of the gospel.

This journey started for me with a Korean Christian fellowship at MIT. I came to college wanting to run from my ethnic identity because of the brokenness and division I saw in my own people. The Korean churches and the mostly white churches I’d attended were essentially silent on racial and ethnic issues, and I was ready to jettison my faith because it seemed irrelevant to the pain and racism my friends, family, and I faced in the real world and to the ethnic tensions that boiled over all around me.

But God brought me, almost against my will, to an InterVarsity group of Asian American college students who loved Scripture, prayer, and sought to live a kingdom-centered life. They talked about what it meant to be Asian American and follow Jesus. Asian, black, Latino, and white women ...

Continue reading...



from
http://feeds.christianitytoday.com/~r/christianitytoday/ctmag/~3/KCNBgn9oBAI/racial-difference-without-division-beyond-colorblind-shin.html

No comments:

Post a Comment